Home Dental Polishing Tips
At-Home tooth polishing kits can be an effective and money-saving way to keep your smile at it's best all year round. With affordable polishing kits available to consumers ranging in price from $15 to $40, you can get professional dental cleaning results with only a modest investment. Here's some suggestions for getting the most from your tooth polisher purchase:
Tips For Polishing Your Teeth At Home
Routine mouth hygiene is essential before
a home dental polishing session to maximize the benefits. Set aside 30 minutes for a full and proper cleaning in front of a mirror and with good lighting.
- Brush your teeth as you normally would for at least 2 minutes
- Floss top and bottom between every tooth
- If you own an interdental brush, use it with polishing paste
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly before polishing
- Use the tooth polisher with your choice of paste
- Polish GENTLY - Let the tool do the work without undue pressure
- Stay dry : Spit when needed and apply more polishing paste
- Pay particular attention to polishing the rear and inside areas
- Inspect your work closely for any stubborn stains or build-up
- Floss again to remove any polishing paste grit left over
- Disinfect your mouth with a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide rinse
- Optionally perform a home-whitening processs immediately
Tips For Maintaining A White Polished Smiles
- Schedule regular dental exams and cleanings to maintain your overall oral health and to remove heavy food and tobacco stain buildup.
- If you need to, quit smoking in order to prevent staining and future teeth discoloration.
- Remember, drinking soft drinks, coffee, tea may increase the chance of staining. So, limit the intake on foods and drinks that can leave stains on your teeth.
- Avoid eating sweets and sugars to prevent teeth decay, or at the least, brush soon after consuming them.
- Brush your teeth for at least two minutes at least twice a day with whitening toothpaste to maintain your whitened teeth.
- Explore various brands of toothpastes. Your nearby Dollar Store can let you try different brands affordably to find one that like best.
- Personally we like Baking Soda based toothpastes, pastes with Peroxide or Triclosan, and smoker's tooth pastes with a distinct gritty texture for maximum removal of soft build-up.
If you have sensitive areas, toothpastes with 5% Potassium Nitrate can help seal the pores in your teeth and make them less sensitive.
Home Teeth Whitening Tips
- A battery powered tooth polisher can help you maintain excellent oral hygiene to maximize the longevity of any professional or home whitening treatment. After a thorough DIY dental polishing at home, you may want to follow up with an in-home whitening process.
- You may wish to consult your dentist and ask which method of home teeth whitening will be best for you.
- People with advanced peridontal and gum diseases or teeth with worn enamel should be cautious about using at-home whitening products with high levels of perioxide.
- You may experience additional sensitivity to hot or cold after a tooth bleaching treatment but it will fade after a few days.
- Teeth are actually porous, living things and the pores will be softened and exposed after the bleaching process and take time to rebuild, remineralize and harden.
- Whitening gels, strips, toothpastes work only on natural teeth. The color shade of caps, crowns and veneers are matched to your own natural colors and won't be affected by whitening procedures.
- Whitening toothpastes generally remove only surface stains and don't contain bleach that may change your tooth's structure.
- Unlike the professional teeth whitening procedures performed by a dentist that may whiten your teeth up to 15 shades, at-home bleaching products may whiten your teeth from one to three shades, depending on the degree of the tooth's discoloration.
- If your teeth are too dark and you experience much discomfort during the treatments, consider porcelain veneers on specific discolored teeth. Since teeth are somewhat translucent, consider replacing large, dark metal fillings with resin fillings to improve their color.
- Though considered a 'Cosmetic' rather than an 'Essential' dental treatment, replacing dark fillings in teeth near the front of your mouth with natural colored resin filllings can improve the overall color of your smile significantly. Most dental insurance will NOT cover such cosmetic procedures, however if you need a new filling, consider resin over metal.
- When selecting a tooth whitener always look for the American Dental Association's ADA Seal of Acceptance.